.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Lesson 29 Creative Writing Short Story - 1828 Words

Lesson 29 Creative Writing: Short Story â€Å"Dream Chasers† â€Å"All I can recall from June 7, 2008, is waking up and heading down stairs. My father, Randall Watts, was sitting at the table wearing his favorite tie along with the suit he had since he was 39,† I explain to the detective sitting across from me. â€Å"Can you describe that tie?† Detective May questions in a somber voice. â€Å"It was green with mustard yellow stripes,† I reply with great sadness. â€Å"My mother, Shelly Watts, was tending to my little cousin who was staying with us at the time. My mother was wearing her brand new grey suit she had bought at J.Crew the week before. As I grabbed the food from the refrigerator, my mother and father looked at each other and then at me. Right as I grabbed my strawberry pop tart with color sprinkles, I heard a honk. It was my best friend Kirsten. â€Å"Thank you, Katie,† he says in a pitiful voice, â€Å"we have another detective coming in to talk with you.† I sit in that hard wooden chair for what feels like hours until I hear a knock. â€Å"Hi, Katie, I’m Detective Brave; I’m here to help you figure out who the monster is that hurt your parents,† she speaks in a comforting voice. I look up. I cannot believe my eyes. No, it couldn’t be. â€Å"Kirsten?† I ask as my heart beats fast. â€Å"How do you know my name?† â€Å"Kirsten, it’s me your best friend, Katie.† â€Å"I’m sorry, but I don’t have a best friend named Katie. Are you okay?† I open my eyes. Light†¦so much light. Peering down at me are two curious faces.Show MoreRelatedA Lesson Before Dying: an Examination of a Prodigious Storyteller975 Words   |  4 PagesA Lesson Before Dying: An Examination of a Prodigious Storyteller A good novel entertains the reader. An excellent novel entertains and enlightens the reader. Set in a Cajun community in the late 1940’s, A Lesson Before Dying is a heart-warming tale of injustice, acceptance and redemption. A Lesson Before Dying by Earnest J. Gaines is an excellent novel. Not only does Gaines inform the reader, he entertains will his effective storytelling. His use of symbolism, voice and stylistic devices keepsRead MoreReflection Paper On Reflection1076 Words   |  5 Pageshave grown in composition writing. Going into Dublin Scioto High School’s dual credit program, I only knew how to write short story analysis papers, or your run-of-the-mill story reflection. After hearing I would have wrote a total of 5000 words minimum, I was left flabbergasted. Nevertheless, the challenges faced when writing these papers gave me an abundant amount of knowledge in transitional word use, and finally becoming comfortable with the drafting process. When writing my p apers, however, I stillRead MoreShort Story Comparison1241 Words   |  5 PagesScales 1! Katrina Scales David Miles ENC-1102 16 July 2015 A Yellow Rose It is likely that after reading short stories The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner, any sensible reader will feel disturbed in at least the slightest. Both texts contain neurotic women of unsound mind who have deathly obsessions. At first glance, these stories do not seem to have much in common; they have been written through opposite perspectives, one neglects to be chronologicalRead MoreCharlie And The Chocolate Factory Allusions1308 Words   |  6 Pagesmany authors pull from their personal experiences in order to bring a story to life. Roald Dahl did just this when writing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Dahl, as noted on his website, recollects his younger years in which he had many interactions with candy stores, a chocolate factory and a sense of isolation. Nonetheless, his interaction with chocolate during boarding school would be the most influential factor in his writing of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Quentin Blake, the chief editorRead MoreMonologue: Reading and Students6486 Words   |  26 PagesMiddle/High School Monologues Teaching Students to Read and Write Monologues Welcome to the World of Monologue A Sample Unit of Lessons for Middle and High School Teachers Jefferson County Public Schools Version 2.0 WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF MONOLOGUE By all reports from the field, this unit can be a lot of fun for you and your students: †¢ there’s performance †¢ there’s walking in others’ shoes and learning empathy 1 Middle/High School Monologues †¢ there’s connecting to Farris Bueller, Bill CosbyRead MoreEdgar Allan Poe s The Dark Poems That He Is Famous For?1423 Words   |  6 Pagesrefereeing to Edgar Allen Poe, is that he wrote these sinister, dark poems, because of what has happened to him during his life. With that being said, I will elucidate the gloom behind these stories of Edgar Allan Poe and what prompted him to write these stories. Before looking into why Poe wrote these stories, you first need to understand what happened to him during his tragic life. Poe’s parents died when he was a young boy, he was placed into foster care, where the Allan family adopted him. YearsRead MoreBecoming a Reflective Teacher of English 1553 Words   |  7 Pagesof literacy has developed expeditiously, from a simplistic view into a multi-faceted outlook that underpins learning throughout the curriculum. Although I had indicated an awareness of the interrelationship of speaking and listening, reading and writing (SLWR), I did not conduct in depth analysis that considers these elements specifically with the process of learning. This essay will discuss how my understanding of SLWR has evolved, and in examining the links between lectures and workshops, furtherRead MoreHow Are the Themes Coming of Age and Immigrant Experience Presented in â€Å"Fiesta, 1980† and â€Å"Rules of the Game†?2087 Words   |  9 Pages 4, 2009 In Fiesta, 1980 by Junot Diaz, the story begins with a Dominican immigrant family celebrating at a party and waiting for the father of the narrator. He seldom undertakes his parental responsibilities and the responsibility of marriage. In contrast, this fathers adultery affects the mother of the narrator throughout the entire story. This story is told from the perspective of an adolescent boy, Yunior. As the story progresses, he and his brother have witnessed theRead MoreFirst Day At Boston College1751 Words   |  8 Pagesto go take a placement test for my writing class. She said that it started at 1:30. I asked her if I can take it later because it was already 1:29. She told me that I will still be not late because the door opens at 1:30, but people can start the test whenever they want. She insisted me that the ending time of test depends on the independent starting time, so I happily started walking down the vast campus. Compared with my high school, which was only a 6 story building, Boston College campus wasRead MoreEssay on Phonics and Whole language methods2543 Words   |  11 Pagesalong in strict order so that he or she only sees words whose letter sounds they have already learned (Flesch, 1983). An example from Rudolf Flesch‘s book Why Johnny Still Can‘t Read is that students would have learned the sounds of n, d, m, p, short a, and short I before trying to read the sentence: â€Å"Ann and Dan pin up the map,† (1983). Students continue learning to read in such a way, using basal (beginning) readers. The sentences get progressively harder as students learn more letter and letter combination

No comments:

Post a Comment